Detecting Black Mold In The Home: Signs, Dangers and Treatment

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Nearly 37 million Americans suffer from sinusitis, and according to the Mayo Clinic, the vast majority of these conditions are caused by mold. Of course, sinusitis is just one of many dangers if you have black mold in your home. Though less common than other species, this toxic variety is not rare, and can cause life-threatening health problems. That’s why it’s so essential to determine the species as quickly as possible, as black mold detection must be dealt with promptly. Advnt Biotechnologies has created an accurate, easy-to-use mold test kit for mold detection that return results within fifteen minutes or less – the fastest of any device on the market today.

Signs of black mold are numerous, the most prevalent being those that are water-related as it needs moisture in which to grow. Leaky pipes, a leaky roof, a damp basement or attic, condensation, flooding, blocked gutters that cause water to seep into the walls or any other kind of water intrusion certainly create mold-friendly environments. Areas with high humidity and buildings with poor ventilation are also prime locations for growth. You could have a problem if you notice:

Discoloration or warping of walls, ceilings and floors

  • Cracked, peeling paint
  • Mildewy, musty odors
  • Loosening of drywall tape
  • Visible mold growth

Beyond the signs, of course, lie the dangers. Left untreated, black mold will only continue to grow, as will health problems that may include:

  • Suppressed immune system
  • Respiratory problems
  • Sinusitis and nasal congestion
  • Asthma
  • Bronchitis
  • Lung tissue damage
  • Eye, nose and throat irritation
  • Dry hacking cough
  • Skin rashes and irritation
  • Memory impairment
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Irritable bowel syndrome
  • Body aches and pains
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Food intolerances and allergies
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Mood swing

In the most severe cases, black mold can even be fatal. Those most vulnerable include people who already have weakened immune systems, as well as children and the elderly.

To prevent your home and health from reaching this destructive point, we highly recommend Advnt Biotechnologies "Informant 15 Minute Black Mold Detection Test Kit " for early black mold detection. That way, if you do have a problem, you can start the treatment process right away.

AdVnt recommends your first call should be to a professional remediation company, otherwise you should begin treatment by first resolving the moisture problem. If it’s a leaky pipe, fix it. If it’s flooding, dry out the area completely. Then seal off the area with plastic sheeting duct taped on doorways and air vents to prevent airborne spores from spreading throughout the house or building. For the same reason, turn off the air conditioning or heater.

To clean the area, put on eye protection, breathing respirator, a mask, rubber gloves and clothes that cover as much skin as possible – preferably old clothes you can simply throw out with everything else when you’re done. If the mold is completely dry, lightly mist it with 1 ounce of tea tree oil or grapefruit extract with 1 gallon of water, as dry spores are more likely to become airborne. Scrub the area with soap then apply a mild disinfectant. Since mold spores are microscopic and can remain dormant for months at a time, wipe down all surfaces in the area. Dispose of everything in heavy plastic bags, including any porous materials that cannot be saved, such as ceiling tiles, carpet or furnishings, and take it to the landfill. Last of all, allow the area to completely dry before opening it back up to the rest of the house or building.

With a quality detection device and a safe cleaning procedure, you can effectively identify and eliminate black mold before it takes a dangerous toll on your home and health.